If you already use special moisturizing products for your face, hands, feet, arms and legs, why skimp on your underarms? Even though the skin of your underarms is naturally moisturized by your own sweat, that area can get dry and irritated after shaving or from reactions to harsh deodorants and antiperspirants.
One solution is to use a deodorant that also contains moisturizers. There are several products on the market that are designed to provide smoother and softer underarm skin [source: Daily Beauty]. Some contain dimethicone, a moisturizing agent that helps replace the lipids that hold skin cells together. Others are made with a touch of olive oil, an effective natural moisturizer.
Moisturizing deodorants may also contain fragrances and chemicals that act as antiperspirants. If you find that you're sensitive to those ingredients, you can simply use the same moisturizer on your underarms that you use for the rest of your body.
For more beauty and skin care tips from HowStuffWorks, take a look at the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Bergman, Elisabeth. "Summer Skin Makeover." Oprah.com. (September 7, 2009)http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/health/wellnessandprevention/slideshow2_ss_soh_200706_makeover
- Daily Beauty. "Younger Underarms." July 26, 2007 (September 10, 2009)http://www.newbeauty.com/dailybeauty/entry.aspx?ID=1125
- DeNoon, Daniel J. "Human Skin Alive with Bacteria." WebMD Health News. May 28, 2009 (September 7, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20090528/human-skin-alive-with-bacteria
- Di Justo, Patrick. "What's Inside: Nair Hair Remover, Feel the Burn!" Wired Magazine. December 20, 2007 (September 10, 2009)http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-01/st_nair
- Heppt, Wendy Korn. "Hair Removal How-To Guide." Prevention. (September 7, 2009)http://health.yahoo.com/beauty-treatment/hair-removal-how-to-guide/prevention--23328.html;_ylt=AuSTWJvTjh8UH3hs7zGU2_hLvs8F
- Mayo Clinic. "Folliculitis" (September 7, 2009)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folliculitis/DS00512
- Mayo Clinic. "Laser Hair Removal."http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/laser-hair-removal/MY00134
- Monroe, Valerie. "How Can I Avoid Underarm Razor Bumps?" O, The Oprah Magazine. (September 7, 2009)http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/val_omag_200712_razor
- Muniz, Alex. "Exfoliation: The Secret to Healthy Skin." Askmen.com. (September 10, 2009)http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_200/248_fashion_advice.html
- Pennisi, Elizabeth. "Bacteria Are Picky About their Homes on Human Skin." Science. May 2008 (September 7, 2009)http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/320/5879/1001
Humans have tried for centuries to mask the scent emanating from their bodies, so what do deodorants do differently?