Lots More Information
Author's Note: Does shaving your armpits reduce sweating?
Armpit hair. It's not something that usually comes up in casual conversation, but it's important to your social life, nonetheless. When I began researching this topic, I was curious about whether shaving would reduce sweating. There are a few anecdotal accounts that it does, particularly in bodybuilding forums. Turns out, shaving armpits doesn't affect the amount of sweat being produced, but it can (at least temporarily) reduce odor.
- Barringer, Taylor. "Hair Removal Through the Ages." MSN. (May 5, 2014) http://glo.msn.com/beauty/the-fascinating-history-of-hair-removal-9249.gallery
- Harrison, Lauren. "Shaving and Fashion: A Storied History." Chicago Tribune. Sept. 14, 2010. (May 5, 2014) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-09-14/features/sc-fash-0913-shaving-20100913_1_shaving-strip-hair-body
- Kimball, Molly. "Body Odor Can Be Affected by Diet as Well as Sweat." NOLA. Oct. 21, 2011. (May 5, 2014) http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2011/10/controlling_bacteria_on_the_sk.html
- Kohoutova, Dagmar, et. al. "Shaving of Axillary Hair Has Only a Transient Effect on Perceived Body Odor Pleasantness." Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. April 2012. (May 5, 2014) http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00265-011-1305-0
- Mayo Clinic. "Sweating and Body Odor." (May 5, 2014) http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sweating-and-body-odor/basics/causes/con-20014438
- SheFinds. "You're Doing It Wrong: Shaving Your Armpits." Sept. 1, 2013. (May 5, 2014) http://www.shefinds.com/2013/youre-doing-it-wrong-shaving-your-pits/expose-to-water/#slide0
- Willacy, Hayley. "Embarrassing Problems." Patient. (May 5, 2014) http://www.patient.co.uk/health/embarrassing-problems