Depending on the type of liquid diet you follow, you are typically allowed different drinks. If your doctor puts you on a liquid diet, however, drink only what he or she recommends.
Generally, on a clear liquid diet, you need to stick to transparent fluids. Sample foods include:
- Clear soup broths
- Clear fruit juices
- Clear carbonated beverages
- Gelatin [source: Colorado Center for Digestive Disorders]
On the full liquid diet, you can have clear liquids but also thicker foods with a bit more substance. Sample foods include:
- Ice cream
- Cream soups
- Cream of wheat
- Pureed vegetables [source: Drug Information Online]
Many people also follow a modified liquid diet in which they use meal-replacement shakes or protein powders for one to two meals per day and consume one regular, solid-food meal. This can help stimulate weight loss by consuming fewer calories while allowing the third solid meal to replenish nutrients that are often lacking from diet drinks. Meal-replacement shakes are sold pre-made in cans or in a powder you add to water or milk; people often choose these for the convenience of an easy-traveling meal.
If you are put on a liquid diet plan by your doctor, follow all advice he or she gives you. And, if you're planning to start a liquid diet on your own, it's a good idea to discuss it with your doctor first so that he or she can be notify you of any potential health risks.
To learn more, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Anne Collins. "Liquid Diets." (Accessed 3/23/09)http://www.annecollins.com/diets/liquid-diets.htm
- Colorado Center for Digestive Disoders. "Clear Liquid Diet." (Accessed 3/23/09) http://www.gastromd.com/diets/clearliquid.html
- Daly, Bridget. "Angelina Jolie Reportedly on a Liquid Diet." Hollyscoop. March 24, 2009. (Accessed 3/24/09)http://www.hollyscoop.com/angelina-jolie/angelina-jolie-reportedly-on-a-liquid-diet_19703.aspx
- Diet Channel. "Liquid Diet." (Accessed 3/23/09)http://www.thedietchannel.com/Liquid-Diet.htm
- Drug Information Online. "Full Liquid Diet." (Accessed 3/23/09)http://www.drugs.com/cg/full-liquid-diet.html
- Hemphill, Elizabeth. "Liquid Diets." Vanderbilt University. (Accessed 3/23/09) http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/LiquidDiets.htm
- I Love India. "Liquid Diet Plan." (Accessed 3/23/09) http://www.iloveindia.com/nutrition/recipes/diets/liquid-diets.html
- Jessen, Monique. "Beyoncé 'Wouldn't Recommend' Liquid Diet." People Magazine. August 17, 2006. (Accessed 3/23/09)http://www.people.com/people/article/0,26334,1228173,00.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Gastric bypass diet: What to eat after weight-loss surgery." (Accessed 3/23/09) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastric-bypass-diet/WT00007
- News Medical. "UT Southwestern develops medically supervised liquid diet program." February 10, 2009. (Accessed 3/23/09) http://www.news-medical.net/?id=45748
- Quick Care. "Clear Liquid Diet." (Accessed 3/23/09)http://quickcare.org/gast/diet.html