Think of winter snacks the same way you think of a cozy fireplace. You need kindling to get the fire started, smaller logs to provide intermediate fuel and larger pieces of wood to keep the heat coming for hours on end. A little sugar is kindling, carbohydrates are the intermediate fuel and protein is the long burning log. Graham cracker PBJs provide all three. Keep in mind, however, that -- as with granola bars -- you need to watch the ingredients. Some peanut butters are packed with unhealthy and unnatural additives. The same is true of jelly. Look for a short list of ingredients with little or no added oils, sugars and preservatives. Otherwise, eat up, warm-up and revel in the knowledge that you are filling your stomach without enlarging your belly.
- Braaten, Brenda. "Nutritional Considerations for Cold Weather Hiking." Backpacking Light. June 25, 2001. (July 29, 2012) http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00040.html?id=zd969cJB:126.96.36.199
- e-swastya. "Winter Healthy Snacks: Seeds Part 1." (July 29, 2012) http://www.e-swastya.com/2010/01/need-for-nutritious-snack-has-always.html
- The Fruit Pages. "Guava and Feijoa." (July 30, 2012) http://www.thefruitpages.com/guavas.shtml
- List My 5. "The Top Five Healthy Cold Weather Snacks." Nov. 2, 2010. (July 29, 2012) http://www.listmyfive.com/623d8f43/The-Top-Five-Healthy-Cold-Weather-Snacks
- Making Life Better. "Graham Cracker PB and J Nachos." (July 29, 2012) http://www.makinglifebetter.com/Recipe/Fruit/Slamming-Graham-Cracker-Pbj-Nachos-1-5962.Aspx
- Manitsas, Andrea. "Hot Cocoa, Be Careful." Organic Authority. (July 29, 2012) http://www.organicauthority.com/health/best-hot-cocoa-hot-chocolate-recipe.html
- Men's Health. "The 9 Best Winter Foods." (July 29, 2012) http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/best-winter-fruit-3?slideshow=105838#sharetagsfocus
- Men's Health. "The 9 Best Winter Foods." (July 29, 2012) http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/best-winter-fruit-4?slideshow=105838#sharetagsfocus
- Ryan, Maureen P. "Warming Up With Smart Snacks." Scholastic Parents. (July 29, 2012) http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=1430
- Sharpe, Kimberly. "The Best Winter Snacks and Packs for Skiers, Snowboarders and Snowshoers." Oct. 15, 2009. (July 29, 2012) http://voices.yahoo.com/the-best-winter-snacks-packs-skiers-snowboarders-4656549.html?cat=22
- Skinny Chef. "Crock-Pot Baked Apples." 2008. (July 29, 2012) http://skinnychef.com/recipes/baked-apples
- Spar. "Kiwi Fruit." (July 30, 2012) http://www.spar.co.uk/FoodAndDrink/Superfoods/Kiwifruit.aspx
- Watts, Anita. "Popcorn Packs a Surprise!" Film Journal International. July 11, 2012. (July 30, 2012) http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/columns-and-blogs/snack-corner/e3i1b9db93de1b925266067f5d4cf5bb109
HowStuffWorks explores whether posting calories on the menu helps consumers make better food choices.