You haven't eaten garlic in six months, you've given up acidic drinks and you end each meal by eating a raw apple instead of a sugary dessert. But you still have bad breath, and you're still wondering what to do about it.
Unfortunately, one of the most common causes of persistent bad breath is also one of the most overlooked: a lack of regularly scheduled visits to your dentist. The American Dental Association recommends that children and adults have a professional cleaning regularly. For most, twice a year should suffice. For others who experience tartar buildup more quickly, four times a year may be necessary.
The professional cleaning process not only removes tartar form the teeth, which if untreated could lead to periodontal disease, but it also can identify any infected areas that need treatment [source: American Dental Association]. By getting to the root of the problem, you can ensure fresher breath, too.
- American Dental Association. "Cleaning Your Teeth and Gums." (Jan. 16, 2012) http://www.ada.org/3072.aspx?currentTab=1
- Bosy, Ann. "Cleaning the Tongue." Breath Doc. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.breathdoc.com/articles/tong101.html
- Dellorto, Danielle. "Bad Breath? Break Free -- and How to Tell a Friend." CNN. Feb. 14, 2011. (Jan 14, 2012) http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/13/bad.breath.remedies/index.html
- Duke, James. "The Green Pharmacy: The Ultimate Compendium of Natural Remedies from the World's Foremost Authority on Healing Herbs." St. Martin's Pub. 1998. (Jan. 14, 2012)
- Gately, Gary. "Bad Breath and the Battle of Bacteria." ABC News. Aug. 30, 2011. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Dental/story?id=119221#.Tw9CPphrWS1
- Gazzaniga, Marin. "Bad Breath Causes: Poor Dental Health Common Culprit." MSN. (Jan. 14, 2012) http://health.msn.com/health-topics/oral-care/bad-breath-causes-poor-dental-health-common-culprit
- Gazzaniga, Marin. "Good Taste: Top 5 Foods to Prevent Bad Breath." MSN. (Jan. 14, 2012) http://health.msn.com/health-topics/oral-care/good-taste-top-5-foods-to-prevent-bad-breath
- Janzen, Jen. "How to Cure Bad Breath." Fox News. Oct. 9, 2011. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/10/09/how-to-cure-bad-breath/
- WebMD. "High Protein, Low Carb Diets." (Jan. 14, 2012) http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets
- WebMD. "The Sweet Smell of Success: How to Banish Bad Breath." Nov. 21, 2001. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/20011121/sweet-smell-of-success-how-to-banish-bad-breath
Human beings are hard-wired to function better in a clean environment. HowStuffWorks looks at why.