If you browse the health and beauty aisles at your local grocery or drug store, you'll notice that the price of women's soap is slightly higher than men's. Women tend to pay more for everything from soap and other skin-care products to mortgages. One study found that goods advertised to women cost as much as 50 percent more than those marketed to men -- even when the products carry the same brand name [source: Dunleavy].
Why pay more if you don't have to? Being aware of gender-based pricing can help you spend less money on soap and other skin-care products like body wash, facial cleanser, moisturizer, shaving cream and even razors. Arguably, there's no significant benefit in women's soap that justifies the increased prices, and if you're a guy, you're paying more for a soap that may not be the best for your skin type.
Want to know more about men's soap? Check out the links below.
- Colenso, Maria. "How are men's body cleansers different from women's body cleanser?" HowStuffWorks.com. Dec. 7, 2010. (Feb. 25, 2011)https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care-men/cleansing-tips/mens-body-cleansers-vs-womens-body-cleansers.htm
- Colenso, Maria. "Why do men smell different from women?" HowStuffWorks.com. Sep. 20, 2010. (Feb. 23, 2011)https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/men/sweating-odor/men-smell-different-from-women.htm
- Dunleavy, M.P. "Women in Red: Why it costs more to be a woman." MSN Money. Dec. 15, 2009. (Feb. 23, 2011)http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ConsumerActionGuide/dunleavey-why-it-costs-more-to-be-a-woman.aspx
- Lamb, Robert. "Do men and women need different cleansers?" HowStuffWorks.com. Dec. 22, 2009. (Feb. 28, 2011)https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/basics/men-women-cleansers.htm
- Persadsingh, Dr. Neil. "Do men and women have different skin types?" Jamaica Observer. March 29, 2010. (Feb. 27, 2011)http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/different-skin-types_7504868
- Robinson, Megan. "Come Clean." Thread. Feb. 27, 2011. (Feb. 27, 2011)http://www.thread.co.nz/news/5709/15/Come-clean/d.thread-article
- Siddons, Sara. "How Body Soap Works." HowStuffWorks.com. Aug. 20, 2009. (Feb. 23, 2011)https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/products/body-soap.htm
- Sprouse, Elizabeth. "5 Skin Care Tips for Men with Rough Skin." HowStuffWorks.com. Dec. 7, 2010 (Feb. 23, 2011)https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/men/skin-care-tips/5-skin-care-tips-for-men-with-rough-skin.htm
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.