While dry skin may seem like a mere nuisance to some people, sometimes it's too severe to ignore. The redness, flaky skin and itchiness can just about drive you crazy. There might never be an actual cure for dry skin. However, some research claims that fatty fish oils just might help reduce its effects.
One simple way to test this hypothesis is to use a topical treatment -- such as a cream -- that contains cod liver oil. Like lotions and moisturizers you may already be using, these creams should be applied after bathing or washing, since they need moisture to be most effective. You may also need to use them repeatedly throughout the day in order to get the best results.
Another option you might try is taking cod liver oil supplements to relieve your dry skin. Some sufferers of psoriasis, a serious skin disease that can cause scales of dead skin to form on the body, have reported reductions in itch, redness and flaky appearance of the skin after taking such supplements. But the National Psoriasis Foundation warns people to pay attention to the total amount of vitamins A and D they are ingesting when taking cod liver oil to avoid taking too much [source: National Psoriasis Foundation].
To learn more about cod liver oil and related topics, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Diabetic Association, the. "Vitamin D, Soy, Omega-3: Keys to Better Bone Health." FNCE News. 10/22-25/05. (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/FNCE_issue1.pdf
- American Heart Association, the. "Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids." (02/14/09). http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632
- BBC. "Cancer chemicals in cod liver oil." BBC News. 06/21/02. (Accessed 03/15/09). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2057056.stm
- Bays, Harold E. "Safety Considers with Omega-3 Fatty Acid Therapy. The American Journal of Cardiology. 03/19/07. (Accessed 03/16/09). http://www.ajconline.org/article/S0002-9149(06)02238-7/abstract
- Bradley, Jesse. "Taking Fish Oil Supplements- Without the bad burps."Mayo Clinic Health Letter. Mayo Clinic. 02/03/09. (Accessed 03/16/09). http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2009-mchi/5167.html?rss-feedid=4
- Calder, Phillip C."Fatty Acids and cardiovascular disease: evidence explained and mechanisms explored."Clinical Science. 2004. (Accessed 03/16/09). http://www.clinsci.org/cs/107/0001/cs1070001.htm
- Kurlansky, Mark. "Fish Story." Business Week. 09/29/97. (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.businessweek.com/1997/39/b3546030.htm
- Macrae, Fiona. "Cod liver oil cuts arthritis without the side effects of pain killers." Daily Mail, The. 03/08. (Accessed 03/15/09). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-543968/Cod-liver-oil-cuts-arthritis-pain-effects-painkillers.html
- Mayo Clinic, the. "Drugs and Supplements." (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil
- Moeller, Peter. "Traditional Cod Liver Oil Preparation."The Weston A. Price Foundation for Wise Traditions in Food, Farming and the Healing Arts. 1895. (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/codliver-manufacture.html
- Monroe Street Medical Clinic. "A Brand of cod liver oil." (Accessed 03/16/09). http://www.rienstraclinic.com/health_info/nutrition/cod_liver_oil.html
- National Psoriasis Foundation. "About Psoriasis." (Accessed 03/24/09) http://www.psoriasis.org/about/psoriasis/
- National Psoriasis Foundation. "Dietary Supplements." (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.psoriasis.org/treatment/psoriasis/diet/supplements.php
- O'Mathuna, Donal. "Nothing fishy about taking cod liver oil." The Irish Times. 03/03/09. (Accessed 03/15/09). http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2009/0303/1224242139628.html
- Rajakumar, Kumaravel. "Vitamin D, Cod Liver Oil, Sunlight and Rickets: A Historical Perspective." The Journal of Pediatrics. 08/03. (Accessed 03/14/09). http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/112/2/e132
- Redford, Gabrielle DeGroot. "Go with the glow." AARP. 03-04/07. (Accessed 03/15/09). http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/skincare_erase_ten_years.html
- Stene, L. C. "Use of cod liver oil during the first year of life is associated with lower risk of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes: a large, population based, case-control study." American Journal of clinical nutrition. 05/04.National Library of Medicine. (Accessed 03/15/09). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14668274
- University of California, Berkeley. "Wellness Guide to Dietary Supplements." (Accessed 03/15/09).http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsCodLiverOil.php
- WebMD. "Drugs & Medications - Zinc Oxide-Cod Liver Oil Top." (Accessed 03/24/09) http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-64412-Zinc+Oxide-Cod+Liver+Oil+Top.aspx?drugid=64412&drugname=Zinc+Oxide-Cod+Liver+Oil+Top
- Weil, Dr. Andrew. "Ask Dr. Weil: Cod Liver Oil." Prevention. (Accessed 03/15/09). http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/ask-dr-weil-cod-liver-oil/b008246be8abf110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/health/health.experts/andrew.weil.md
- Weil, Dr Andrew. "Why I still take my fish oil." Time. 06/20/06. (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1205361,00.html
- Wilton, P. "Cod Liver Oil, vitamin D and the fight against rickets."Canadian Medical Association Journal.1995. (Accessed 03/14/09). http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/abstract/152/9/1516