Colloidal Silver Generators
In this day and age of medical and personal technology, it comes as no surprise that the world of colloidal silver has married the two. Although several products are available online, at alternative healing workshops or in holistic health shops, for the tech-savvy, an at-home generator can help you whip up your own colloidal silver products.
There are several places you can purchase your own generator, some for as little as $50. However, as with colloidal silver you purchase in pre-packaged form, the side effects that result from the home-brewed concoctions are just as likely to occur. Also, making colloidal silver at home might be a bit trickier than purchasing it [source: Woolsten]. But imagine using something small enough to fit in your purse to create your own colloidal silver [source: HealthHerbs]. It can be done.
Colloidal silver generators come in a range of sizes, and some of them simply sit on top of a jar or container and pump a current of electricity across a plate or piece of silver. This discharges the silver particles into the water, where they remain suspended. There are several types of suspensions, and sometimes the liquid will appear clear or amber-yellow [sources: SilverGen, Lindemann].
Follow the links below to gather more information regarding colloidal silver.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. "Public Health Statement for Silver." 12/90. (03/06/09). http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs146.html
- Botelho, Greg. "Slivers of Silver for what ails you?" CNN. (03/06/09). http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/19/silver/
- Celizic, Mike. "Real Life Blue Guy Shrugs off his skin color." Today, MSNBC. 01/07/08. (03/05/09). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22536241/
- FDA. "FDA Issues Final Rule on OTC Products Containing Colloidal Silver." 08/17/99. (03/06/09). http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html
- Harvard Health Publications. "Taking Silver could give you the blues." Harvard Medical School. 08/07. (02/03/09). http://www.colloidalsilver.com.au/NewFiles/Harvard%20Health%20Aug%2007%20E.pdf
- Lindemann, Peter. "Colloidal Silver: A Closer Look." Elixa Peak Being. (03/07/09). http://www.elixa.com/silver/lindmn.htm
- Mayo Clinic. "Alternative Medicine: Evaluate Claims of treatment Success." (03/01/09). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alternative-medicine/SA00078
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. "Colloid." (03/02/09). http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colloid
- National Center for Alternative and Complimentary Medicine. "Colloidal Silver Products." (03/02/09).
- New York Times, The. "National Briefing- Rockies: Montana: Drug Turned Candidate Blue." 10/02/02. (03/06/09). http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9405E5D81E38F930A
- Newsday. "Colloidal Silver: No Silver Lining Found in Product." 3/23/07. (03/06/09).http://www.newsday.com/news/health/nyp-dssuppl3301569may27,1,5620076.story nih.gov/health/silver/
- Prevention Magazine. "Colloidal Silver." 2007. (03/06/09). http://www.prevention.com/cda/vendorarticle/colloidal-silver/HN2832002/health/vitamin.encyclopedia/0/0/usage
- Rohdenburg, Dr. G.L. "Colloidal Silver with Lecethin in the treatment of malignant tumors. The Journal of Medical Research. Vol.XXXI No. 3. 01/1915. (03/02/09). http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=2083823&blobtype=pdf
- Silver Gen. "SilverGen Ionic- Colloidal Silver Generators Utilize CONSTANT Currant Technology." (03/06/09). http://www.silvergen.com/
- Silverum. "Exploring the Historical Therapeutic Uses of Silver." (03/06/09). http://www.silverum.com/history_colloidal_silver.html
- Sloan-Kettering. "About Herbs- Colloidal Silver." (03/06/09). http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69189.cfm
- Stein, Matthew. "When Technology Fails." Chelsea Green Publishing, p. 259. 2008. (03/06/09). http://books.google.com/books?id=SKt_u35t9hsC&pg=PA259&lpg=PA259&dq=how+do+silver+generators+work+News&source=bl&ots=gSWtnNQUDq&sig=Q1eSbgVTUtpsN2mXC02A4RLgRsA&hl=en&ei=MsmySYuZApL4MbeThf4E&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result
- Today's Women and Health. "What is Colloidal Silver?" (Accessed 3/18/09) http://www.todays-women-and-health.com/what-is-colloidal-silver.html
- Valentino, Steve. "Colloidal Silver Benefits." Ezine. (Accessed 3/19/09) http://ezinearticles.com/?Colloidal-Silver-Benefits&id=353789
- Wolfe Clinic, the. "The Silver Solution." (03/02/09). http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/silvermax.html
- Winter, Greg. "U.S. Vows More Scrutiny Of Health Ads on Net." New York Times, The. 16/06/01. (03/06/09). http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE4DE1731F936A25755C0A9679C8B63
- Woolsten, Chris. "Does colloidal silver boost immunity or overall health?" Los Angeles Times, the. 03/07/09). http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-skeptic9-2009feb09,0,2063918.story
- Z-Medica. "QuikClot Sport & QuikClot Sport Silver." (03/06/09). http://www.z-medica.com/products/quikclot_sport.asp
- Zeller, James. "Big Business discovers colloidal silver." Wall Street Journal, The. 06/06/06. (03/06/09). http://www.n-ergetics.com/wsjcolloidalsilver.html
- Zeller, Jason. "Beyond the Battlefield." JEMS. 03/01/08. (03/06/09). http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/articles/jems/3303/beyond_the_battlefield.html
- Zeratzky, Dr.Katherine "Colloidal Silver: Is it safe?" The Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colloidal-silver/AN01682