With some time and a little discomfort, wearing a fixed orthodontic device can help create a beautiful smile, but getting there usually means months of frustration trying to brush around brackets and wires. Dental plaque and bacteria can flourish in, around and behind braces, and not getting into all the nooks and crannies regularly can result in tooth decay, white spots (decalcification) and gum disease long before you're ready for your close up. Even spongy manual flossers have limited effectiveness when dealing with the complexities of orthodontic devices, unlike liquid flossers that use water to flush bacteria and food particles from hiding. An orthodontic tip uses dual action to brush and rinse braces simultaneously, keeping your mouth cleaner and your teeth and gums safer [source: Smart Health].
- American Academy of Periodontology. "Floss Your Teeth—On the Double!" 8/5/08. 8/23/11. http://www.perio.org/consumer/flossing08.htm
- American Dental Association. "Dental Care Products." 2002. 8/23/11. http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceAndResearch/pdfs/patient_20.pdf
- American Profile. "Levi Spear Parmly - the Father of Dental Floss." 7/26/03. 8/23/11. http://www.americanprofile.com/articles/levi-spear-parmly--the-father-of-dental-floss/
- Barnes CM, Russell CM, Reinhardt RA, Payne JB, Lyle DM. "Comparison of Irrigation to Floss as an Adjunct to Toothbrushing: Effect on Bleeding, Gingivitis, and Supragingival Plaque." 2005. 8/23/11. http://www.dewittetandenwinkel.nl/docs/research/jocd/jocd_wp.pdf
- Dental Picture Show. "Dental flossing problems: Shredded or stuck floss, bleeding gums, rough edges on dental fillings and crowns." 8/23/11. http://www.dental-picture-show.com/tooth-flossing/a4-floss-stuck-shreds.html
- Dental Picture Show. "Using dental floss: Flossing technique tips, pointers, and explanations." 8/23/11. http://www.dental-picture-show.com/tooth-flossing/a3-dental-floss-flossers.html
- Finley,Marcus. "Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser Review – A Fantastic Alternative to Flossing!" Electric Toothbrush Reviews. 8/23/11. http://electrictoothbrushreviews.org/waterpik-ultra-water-flosser-review/
- Infinitec.org. "Dental Hygiene." 8/23/11. http://www.infinitec.org/live/health/dental.htm
- Oral-B. "Choosing The Best Dental Floss For You." 8/23/11. http://www.oralb.com/topics/choosing-the-best-dental-floss-for-you.aspx
- Shibly, Othman, DDS, MS, Sebastian Ciancio, DDS, Sandra Shostad, DDS, MS & Maryann Mather, BS. "Clinical Evaluation of an Automatic Flossing Device vs. Manual Flossing." School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo. 2001. 8/23/11. http://worldbrands.eu/pdf/Flosser_Clinical_Study.pdf
- Smart Health. "Why Do I get White Spots on My Teeth. It is de-Calcification?" 8/23/11. http://www.smartahealth.com/white_spots_on_tooth_decalcification.html
- USC Health Now. "Do dental water jets, like the Waterpik, really work?" University of Southern California. " 8/22/11. http://healthnow.usc.edu/2009/03/dentalwaterjets.html
- Water Pik, Inc. "How to Use a Water Pik Water Flosser Video." 9/7/10. 8/23/11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-sErOkFFgg&feature=related
- Waterpik, Inc. "Waterpik Water Flosser Model WP-100 Operating Manual." 2009.
- Water Pik, Inc. "Introducing the Waterpik Water Flosser (Dental Professionals)." 8/26/10. 8/23/11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4ZnRhyj8k&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_517317
- Water Pik, Inc. "Specific Dental Needs." 8/23/11. http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/dental-needs.html
- YouTube. "Water Pik Water Flosser Review and Instructions." 5/7/10. 8/23/11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nre_nruDcog
Toothpaste has a long, strange history. Check it out with HowStuffWorks.