Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Age-Related Hearing Loss
- Cochlear Implant
- Hearing Loss
- How to Care for Your Ears
- Understanding Deafness
- How Hearing Works
More Great Links
- Academy of Doctors of Audiology
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- AAO-HNS, "Frequently Asked Questions About Hearing Aid Development." http://www.entlink.net/history/exhibits/Hearing-Aid-FAQ.cfm
- Alpiner, Jerome G.; Mulvey, Megan; Smith, Randall D. "The Hearing Aid Decision: Answers to Your Many Questions." Ramie, 2007.
- AmericaHears Inc., "Looking at the History of Hearing Aids: The Past, Present, and Future of Hearing Aid Technology." http://hearing-aids.americahears.com/aid-technology.html
- American Academy of Otolaryngology -- Head and Neck Surgery, "Buying a Hearing Aid." http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hearing/hearing_aid.cfm
- American Academy of Otolaryngology -- Head and Neck Surgery, "Cochlear Implants." http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/ears/cochlear-implant.cfm
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, "Hearing Aids." http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/treatment/hearing_aids
- Carmen, Richard. "The Consumer Handbook on Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids: A Bridge to Healing." Auricle Ink, 2004.
- Cochlear Implants http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/cochlear/
- Comarow, Avery. "Good Vibrations; They're Still Hearing Aids. But they're Better-and Smaller."
- Dillon, Harvey. "Hearing Aids." Thieme Medical, 2001.
- Discovery Channel, "How It's Made: Hearing Aids."
- Ear Info, "Frequently Asked Questions." http://www.earinfo.com/hearingloss.html
- Federal Trade Commission, "Sound Advice on Hearing Aids."
- Focus on Healthy Aging, "Choosing the Right Hearing Aid." June 2007.
- MayoClinic, "Hearing Aids: How to Choose the Right One."
- Medical News Today, "Alternative Treatment Brings Hearing to Both Ears." August 2, 2007. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/printerfriendlynews.php?newsid=78423
- Medical News Today, "Duke University Study Finds Hearing Aids are Underused." June 3, 2006. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/printerfriendlynews.php?newsid=44479
- Myers, David G. "A Quiet World: Living with Hearing Loss." Yale University Press, 2000.
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders,
- "Hearing Aids." http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/hearingaid.asp
- Smoski, Walter J. "Hearing Aids." Last updated April 16, 2007. http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic478.htm
- U.S. News & World Report, May 22, 2006, Vol. 140, Issue 19, pp. 53-55.