Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Pregnancy Works
- How Smell Works
- How Taste Works
- How Food Works
- How can a rabbit tell me if I'm pregnant?
- Can I feel pregnant when my wife is?
- Why does orange juice taste bad after you brush your teeth?
More Great Links
- Bhagat, Des Raj, Aniece Chowdhary, Sanjeev Verma, Jyotsana. "Physiological Changes in ENT During Pregnancy." Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. July-September 2006.
- Brody, Jane E. "What Could Be Good About Morning Sickness? Plenty." New York Times. June 6, 2000. (July 15, 2008) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D04EFD6163FF935A35755C0A9669C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
- Gilbert, Avery N. and Charles Wysocki. "Quantitative Assessment of Olfactory Experience during Pregnancy." Psychosomatic Medicine. 1991. (July 15, 2008) http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/53/6/693.pdf
- Kuga, Mutsumi, Minoru Ikeda, Kunio Suzuki and Shigeo Takeuchi. "Changes in Gustatory Sense During Pregnancy." Acta Otolaryngol. 2002.
- Murkoff, Heidi. "Heightened Sense of Smell." What to Expect. (July 15, 2008) http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/heightened-smell.aspx
- "New evidence connects nausea to sense of smell." Stanford Report. Sept. 20, 2000. (July 15, 2008) http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/news/2000/september20/Nausea-920.html
- Nordin, Steven, Daniel A. Broman, Jonas K. Olofsson and Marianne Wulff. "A Longitudinal Descriptive Study of Self-reported Abnormal Smell and Taste Perception in Pregnant Women." Chemical Senses. 2004. (July 15, 2008) http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/29/5/391
- Pletsch, Pamela K. and Anna Thornton Kratz. "Why Do Women Stop Smoking During Pregnancy? Cigarettes Taste and Smell Bad." Health Care for Women International. 2004.
- Sample, Ian. "Do pregnant women really make the best wine tasters?" The Guardian. March 25, 2004. (July 15, 2008) http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/mar/25/food.thisweekssciencequestions
- Swallow, Brain L., Stephen W. Lindow, Mo Aye, Ewan A. Masson, Cesarettin Alasalvar, Peter Quantick, Jon Hanna. "Smell perception during early pregnancy: no evidence of an adaptive mechanism." BJOG: an International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology." January 2005.
- "Tesco wine tasting plans slammed." BBC. March 22, 2004. (July 15, 2008) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3558377.stm
- "Vive la Difference: Women's Sense of Smell." Harvard Women's Health Watch. April 2002.