Sometimes the best way to burn calories isn't by exercising at all. Following are a few non-exercise ways to shed some weight.
- Stand whenever you can. You'll burn more calories than sitting, as many as 50 more an hour for a 155-pound person [source: Platkin].
- Fidgeting can burn an extra 350 calories a day. Rapidly tapping your feet, talking with your hands, and chewing gum, all count. While the calorie burn for each movement is minimal, fidgeting could add up to a loss of up to 36 pounds (16.3 kilograms) a year [source: Platkin].
- Good posture is an effective core strengthening measure. It requires you to use muscles to keep your tummy tight and your back straight. Do it continually to build abdominal strength, alleviate lower back pain and help you feel more confident.
- Deep breathing helps you relax and lowers heart rate. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Laugh often. It tightens your stomach muscles, exercises your diaphragm, works your heart, relieves stress and gives you a better outlook on life.
By making exercise part of your everyday work routine, you'll be healthier, happier and more productive. But let's keep that our little secret.