Cover Electrical Outlets and Protect Children from Electrical Wires
Electrical shock causes deaths and injuries each year. An electrical shock occurs whenever a child touches an electrically charged object, while touching another surface that can conduct the electricity to the ground. Proper grounding, electrical safety devices and avoiding hazardous situations can help prevent electrical shock in children.
Childproof your home from electric shock with these safety tips:
- Cover unused electrical sockets with plastic covers
- Repair or discard any damaged appliances or electric cords
- Keep young children away from electrical appliances
- Teach kids to respect electricity as early as possible
- Do not use a hair dryer or radio near water
Electricity is also a common cause of household fires. If you notice unusual odors, flickering lights or unusual power surges, have an electrician inspect your house and make sure the wiring system is safe.