If you're trying to get pregnant, you might think a lot of progesterone is just what you need. But too much of it can be just as detrimental to your pregnancy chances as too little because it can actually act as a contraceptive [source: Kittel].
And it's not just long-term high progesterone that's problematic. A one-time boost of progesterone into a body with normal levels can upset the process of conception by pushing the endometrium into sloughing and, thus, causing menstruation to begin [source: Jelovsek].
Other effects of high progesterone include tiredness, vaginal dryness, high insulin levels, decreased insulin sensitivity, weight gain, reduced sex drive and depression.
As you can see, tinkering with hormone levels is complicated and only advisable when a legitimate imbalance is present. To ensure you aren't exacerbating your infertility, see a specialist for guidelines on regulating progesterone levels -- if it's even needed at all.
To read about other fertility issues, check out the next page for lots more information.
- American Pregnancy Association. "Infertility Medications." February 2012. (June 18, 2012) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/infertility/infertilitymedications.html
- Body Logic. "Progesterone Levels in Men." (June 18, 2012) http://www.bodylogicmd.com/hormones-for-men/progesterone
- Bowen, R. "Placental Hormones." Colorado State University. Aug. 6, 2000. (June 18, 2012) http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/placenta/endocrine.html
- Conrad, Christine. "A Woman's Guide to Natural Hormones." Penguin. Dec. 6, 2005. (June 18, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=-kw3AgBiSqIC&dq=a+woman's+guide+to+natural+hormones&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- DiLeo, Gerard M. "Q&A: Can I purchase over-the-counter progesterone cream?" Baby Zone. (June 18, 2012) http://www.babyzone.com/getting-pregnant/infertility/progesterone-cream-infertility_79323
- Drugs.com. "Progesterone." June 24, 2010. (June 18, 2012) http://www.drugs.com/progesterone.html
- Healthy Women. "Progesterone." Oct. 10, 2011. (June 18, 2012) http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/progesterone
- Hermann, Anne C; Nafziger, Anne N; Victory, Jennifer; Kulawy, Robert; Rocci, Mario L; and Joseph S. Bertino. "Over-the-Counter Progesterone Cream Produces Significant Drug Exposure Compared to a Food and Drug Administration–Approved Oral Progesterone Product." The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. June 2005. (June 18, 2012) http://jcp.sagepub.com/content/45/6/614.abstract
- Jackson, Rosalind. "Progesterone Creams." HowStuffWorks. (June 18, 2012) https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/progesterone-cream.htm
- Jelovsek, Frederick R. "Progesterone, Its Uses and Effects." Women's Health. (June 18, 2012) http://www.wdxcyber.com/nmood11.htm
- Kittel, Mary. "Everything You Need to Know to Get Pregnant Now -- Or Whenever You're Ready." Rodale. 2004. (June 18, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=AaL71xZCZ70C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Lee, John R. and Hopkins, Virginia. "FAQs about Progesterone Cream." JohnLeeMD.com. (June 18, 2012) http://www.johnleemd.com/store/faqs_progest_crm.html
- MayoClinic. "Female Infertility - Causes." Sept. 9, 2011. (June 18, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/female-infertility/DS01053/DSECTION=causes
- MSN. "Progesterone." Dec. 15, 2010. (June 18, 2012) http://health.msn.com/medications/progesterone
- Project AWARE. "About Progesterone." Sept. 2002. (June 18, 2012) http://www.project-aware.org/Managing/Hrt/progesterone.shtml
- WebMD. "Progesterone." May 18, 2011. (June 18, 2012) http://women.webmd.com/progesterone-15286
- WebMD. "Wild Yam and Progesterone Creams - Topic Overview." May 4, 2010. (June 18, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/menopause/tc/menopause-wild-yam-and-progesterone-creams-topic-overview
- Weil, Andrew. "What are the benefits of natural progesterone creams?" DrWeil.com. Jan. 21, 2002. (June 18, 2012) http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA36021