You've exfoliated, you've moisturized and now your canvas is ready. It's time for the fun part, putting on makeup. To do this effectively, you need to know what your skin tone is. An easy way to determine this is by checking the skin on your under arm. If your veins appear blue, then you're a cool skin tone. If the veins appear green, you've got yellow undertones and you're a warm skin tone. Once you've figured out which skin type you are, it's time to pick out the right foundation.
Foundation is the most important part of the application process when trying to even out your skin tone. If you pick the wrong one, you'll likely end up with a sloppier look that you started with. The right foundation, on the other hand, will cover uneven areas and blemishes with ease. A common mistake that people make when picking a foundation is testing it on their wrist or their hand. This doesn't always give you an accurate representation. Find the right foundation for your skin tone and always test it on your face before making a purchase [source: Essortment].
Aside from foundation, blush and powder can also help even out your skin tone. Choosing a blush involves the same process as choosing a foundation. In general, soft colors are better suited for light skin and brighter colors for those with dark skin. Top it all off with a powder to keep from getting shiny. Loose powders tend to give better results than pressed powders and they're easier to apply as well [source: Essortment].
If you follow these simple steps, your skin should appear more even and healthy. Read on to find out lots more information on evening out your skin tone.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- 911 Skin. "Exfoliating Skin." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.911skin.com/typofexin.html
- Aloette. "Get Even Skin Tone With These Easy Tips." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.aloette.com/even_skin_tone
- Athena 7 Minute Lift. "Athena 7 Minute Lift." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.7minutelift.com/
- Austin, Kamau. "How to Even Out Your Skin Tone." Idea Marketers. (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.ideamarketers.com/?How_to_Even_Out_Your_Skin_Tone&articleid=127264&from=PROFILE
- Benabio, Jeffery, MD, FAAD. "Interesting Facts About Skin." The Dermatology Blog. Feb. 6, 2008. (accessed 07/21/2009)http://thedermblog.com/2008/02/06/20-interesting-facts-about-skin/
- Essortment. "Make-up tips: buying the right colors for your skin tone." 2002. (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/choosingmakeup_syxh.htm
- Fair & Flawless Skin. "Fitzpatrick Scale." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.fairandflawlessskin.com/skintone.html
- High Tech Sciences. "Fun Science Facts You Didn't Know." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.hightechscience.org/funfacts.htm
- Makeup Tips for Beginners. "Makeup History - A Few Facts." (07/21/2009)http://www.makeup-tips-for-beginners.com/makeup-history.html
- Natural Geographic. "Skin." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.naturalskincaresecrets.com/benefits-of-drinking-water-for-skin.html
- Natural Skincare Secrets. "Health Benefits of Drinking Water…for Your Skin." (accessed 07/21/2009)http://www.naturalskincaresecrets.com/benefits-of-drinking-water-for-skin.html