Just because you've had quirky, colorful nails for a while doesn't mean that bluish, brown, yellow or two-toned darkening is biologically normal for you. What you've come to expect as the regular appearance of your nails may actually be a subtle indication that you have a medical problem that needs attention. In fact, doctors will often inspect a patient's nails for symptoms of disease. It's true that a recent change in the appearance of your nails is a potential warning sign you should discuss with your doctor, but darkening that's been present for a long time can still be significant.
If you have a doctor's appointment coming up, avoid applying polish to your nails for a while, and ask your doctor to have a look at your naked nails. We don't want to alarm you here. Nail coloration (shape and density) can suggest illness, but one symptom, like nail color, can occur across a number of conditions, some minor and others major. If you think your nails may be trying to tell you something, listen to your digits and get a professional assessment.
- A Quick Primer on Cuticles
- 5 Things to Do Before Going to the Nail Salon
- Remove Nail Polish Remover From Your Life
- What Do Your Fingernails Say About Your Health?
- 10 Steps to Do Your Own Manicure
- 10 Steps to Do Your Own Pedicure
- What's an American manicure?
- What's a French manicure?
- Techniques to Create Half Moon Manicures
- Easy Nail Art for Kids
- DermNet NZ. "Yellow Nail Syndrome." (8/27/12). http://dermnetnz.org/hair-nails-sweat/yellow-nails.html
- Disabled World. "Fingernails Nail Color Health Indicators." 2/28/09. (8/27/12). http://www.disabled-world.com/health/dermatology/nails/nail-color.php
- Mayo Clinic. "7 fingernail problems not to ignore." (8/27/12). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00055&slide=1
- Nail Care Tips. "Nail Facts." (8/27/12). http://www.nail-care-tips.com/interesting-nail-facts.php
- Medscape. "Nail Abnormalities." (8/27/12). http://reference.medscape.com/features/slideshow/fingernail-abnormalities
- Quit Smoking Dallas. "How Smoking Can Change One's Appearance." (8/27/12). http://blog.smu.edu/quitsmoking/2012/03/30/how-smoking-can-change-ones-appearance/
- Total Beauty. "Smoking Cessation: The 7 Sneaky Ways Smoking Steals a Woman's Beauty." (8/27/12). http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/smoking-ruins-your-beauty/p82092/page1
- Traub, Gabrielle. "Fingernails And What They Reveal." Hpathy. (8/27/12). http://hpathy.com/homeopathy-papers/fingernails-and-what-they-reveal/
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. "Nail Abnormalities." 8/27/12. (8/27/12). http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003247.htm
- Women's and Children's Health Network. "Nails." 4/12/12. (8/27/12). http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=152&id=2486