It doesn't take much to ensure a speedy recovery and minimal scarring after a mole-removal procedure. All you have to do is follow a few simple steps and avoid some common mistakes to ensure your skin will be as good as new in a couple weeks.
Following a mole-removal procedure, you should clean the area twice a day with water or diluted hydrogen peroxide and apply an antibiotic cream and a clean bandage [source: Schlessinger]. You may have heard that air helps a wound heal, but studies show that cuts heal faster when they're treated with an antibiotic cream and covered with a bandage. And while topical vitamin E may help reduce scarring, it's best to wait to apply it until the wound heals completely. Applying vitamin E too soon can slow the healing process and possibly make scarring even worse [source: Schlessinger].
For more information on mole removal, see the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Moles." 2007. (Accessed 09/30/2009)http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common_moles.html
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. "Atypical (dysplastic) Moles." (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/atypical_moles.html
- Coleman, Claire. "Young Women Are Resorting to Dangerous DIY Mole Removal Kits." Pro Nurse. September 21, 2009. (Accessed 09/30/2009)http://www.pronurse.co.uk/news/articles/1930-young-women-are-resorting-to-dangerous-diy-mole-removal-kits
- Gibson, Lawrence E. MD. "More removal cream: Does it work?" Mayo Clinic. February 2, 2008. (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mole-removal/AN01780
- Hacker, Steven MD. "The cost of mole removal." Real Self. (Accessed 09/30/2009)http://www.realself.com/question/How-much-does-mole-removal-cost-Delray-Beach-The-cost-of-mole-removal
- Kopf, Alfred W. MD, Arthur J. Sober MD & Steven Q. Wang MD. "Dysplastic Nevi Prevention Guidelines." Skin Cancer Foundation. (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.skincancer.org/dysplastic-nevi/
- Leffell, David J. "Warning Spots of Cancer and Moles." Yale. 2000. (Accessed 09/30/2009)http://dermatology.yale.edu/resources/docs/total_skin/chapters/Chapter%2021%20Warning%20Spots%20of%20Cancer%20and%20Moles.pdf
- Mayo Clinic. "Moles: Treatments and drugs." February 19, 2008. (Accessed 09/30/2009)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/moles/DS00121/DSECTION=treatments%2Dand%2Ddrugs
- Rodriguez, Diana. "Get the Facts on Cancer Moles." Everyday Health. January 8, 2009. (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.everydayhealth.com/skin-cancer/cancer-moles-and-mole-removal.aspx
- Schlessinger, Joel MD. "Mole Removal: After the Procedure." Emedicine Health. July 14, 2009. (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mole_removal/page5_em.htm
- Schlessinger, Joel MD. "Mole Removal: During the Procedure." Emedicine Health. July 14, 2009. (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mole_removal/page4_em.htm
- Skin Care Physicians. "What is Skin Cancer?" American Academy of Dermatology. (Accessed 09/30/2009) http://www.skincarephysicians.com/SkinCancerNet/whatis.html
- WebMD. "Skin Conditions: Moles, Freckles and Skin Tags." (Accessed 10/12/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/moles-freckles-skin-tags