Sometimes the best way to burn calories isn't by exercising at all. Following are a few non-exercise ways to shed some weight.
- Stand whenever you can. You'll burn more calories than sitting, as many as 50 more an hour for a 155-pound person [source: Platkin].
- Fidgeting can burn an extra 350 calories a day. Rapidly tapping your feet, talking with your hands, and chewing gum, all count. While the calorie burn for each movement is minimal, fidgeting could add up to a loss of up to 36 pounds (16.3 kilograms) a year [source: Platkin].
- Good posture is an effective core strengthening measure. It requires you to use muscles to keep your tummy tight and your back straight. Do it continually to build abdominal strength, alleviate lower back pain and help you feel more confident.
- Deep breathing helps you relax and lowers heart rate. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Laugh often. It tightens your stomach muscles, exercises your diaphragm, works your heart, relieves stress and gives you a better outlook on life.
By making exercise part of your everyday work routine, you'll be healthier, happier and more productive. But let's keep that our little secret.
- Back Exercise and Pain Relief.com. "Laughter Therapy." (March 15, 2011)http://www.back-exercise-and-pain-relief.com/laughter-therapy.html
- Better Exercise Fitness For Life. "Reduce Stress With Office Exercise." (March 15, 2011) http://www.better-exercise-fitness-for-life.com/office-exercise.html
- Bram, Thursday. "20 Exercises You Can Do At (Or Near) Your Desk." Stepcase LifeHack. April 1, 2008 (March 15, 2011)http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/29-exercises-you-can-do-at-or-near-your-desk.html#
- Burchell, Andrew. "5 Office Exercises." AskMen.com. August 4, 2010. (March 15, 2011) http://www.askmen.com/feeder/askmenRSS_article_print_2006.php?ID=1033602
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. "Stretching at the Workstation." December 12, 2002. (March 15, 2011)http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/stretching.html
- Casserly, Meghan. "Office Exercise Challenge." Forbes.com. July 22, 2009. (March 15, 2011) http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/22/office-workout-exercise-forbes-woman-fitness-the-biggest-loser.html
- Golubkoff, Natalia. "Office workout routine: 14 simple and effective exercises you can do at your desk." Going-Well. December 4, 2009 (March 15, 2011)http://going-well.com/2009/12/04/office-workout-routine-14-simple-and-effective-exercises-you-can-do-at-your--desk/
- Jampolis, Melina. "Expert Q&A." CNN Health. April 10, 2009. (March 30, 2011) http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/04/10/water.losing.weight.jampolis/index.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Kegel exercises: A how-to-guide for women." (March 28, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Office exercise: How to burn calories at work." MayoClinic.com. September 24, 2009 (March 15, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/office-exercise/SM00115
- MotleyHealth. "Office Exercise Tips." (March 15, 2011) http://www.motleyhealth.com/fitness/office-exercise-tips
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). "Stress…At Work." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (March 29, 2011)http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99%2D101/
- Platkin, Charles Stuart. "A Few Unique Ways to Burn Extra Calories--NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)." January 9, 2008. (March 30, 2011) http://www.kcby.com/news/health/13565082.html
- Riddle, Joshua. "5 Desk Exercises for Your Busy Office Life." WorkAwesome. January 16, 2011. (March 15, 2011)http://workawesome.com/office-life/office-desk-exercises/
- Silver, Tisa. "10 Office Exercises to Combat Stress and Weight Gain." November 13, 2009. (March 15, 2011)http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1109/Stressed-at-The-Office-Try-These-10-Simple-Exercises.aspx
- Smith, Stew. "The Office Workout." Military.com Fitness Center. (March 15, 2011) http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/office-workout
- Sports Fitness Advisor. "Isometric Exercises & Static Strength Training." (March 28, 2011) http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/isometric-exercises.html
- Sukovaty, Shannon. "Hamstring, Thigh & Glute Toning Exercises." LiveStrong.com. August 20, 2010. (March 28, 2011)http://www.livestrong.com/article/212412-hamstring-thigh-glute-toning-exercises/
- Weil, Richard. "Does Fidgeting Help Burn Calories?" MedicineNet.com. April 21, 2009 (March 28, 2011)http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=99521
- Wellness Web Team. "Office Exercises." Brigham Young University Wellness. 2011 (March 15, 2011)http://wellness.byu.edu/content.php?id=86
- Ygoy. "Office Exercise - Exercise At Your Desk." November 12, 2007 (March 15, 2011) http://women.ygoy.com/office-exercise-exercise-at-your-desk
Is exercising at work widely accepted? Visit Discovery Fit & Health to learn if exercising at work is widely accepted.