Vitamin B-6 is the multitasking vitamin that works with fellow B-complex vitamins, on its own and with other vitamins to handle nearly all aspects of the body. Vitamin B-6, combined with B-12 and folic acid, helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that increases risk of stroke, osteoporosis, depression, dementia, macular degeneration and blood vessel disease. It also promotes the health of the brain, cardiovascular systems and bones. It can even help improve your mood and lower colon cancer rates [source: Mayo Clinic].
For men prone to kidney stones, vitamin B-6 works in combination with magnesium to decrease risk. It's also easy to find in proteins like beef and chicken, as well as in bananas, garbanzo beans, potatoes and fortified cereals and grains.
Supplementation is common, but quantity is important as overdoses can lead to changes in nerve function [source: OFDC]. As with all vitamins, it's important not to overindulge in the hope of warding off cancer or disease. Rather, talk with a doctor before taking anything over the recommended daily dosage.
Whether it's by getting outdoors, eating the right foods or taking supplements, these vitamins can help men stay healthy and happy.
- Boyles, Salynn. "Folic Acid May Raise Prostate Cancer Risk." WebMD. March 10, 2009. (March 1, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20090310/folic-acid-may-raise-prostate-cancer-risk
- Evans, Randolph. "Natural or Alternative Medications for Migraine Prevention: Riboflavin." Medscape Today. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/533714_6
- Hedrick, Bill. "Vitamin K: No Help for Bone Density." WebMD. Oct. 18, 2008. (March 1, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/news/20081013/vitamin-k-no-help-for-bone-density
- Mayo Clinic. "Vitamin B6." Mayo Clinic. Dec. 1, 2010. (March 1, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-b6/NS_patient-b6
- Mayo Clinic. "Vitamin D." Mayo Clinic. Dec. 1, 2010. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind
- McMillen, Matt. "Vitamin and Mineral Supplements for Men." WebMD. March 18, 2010. (Feb. 26, 2011)http://men.webmd.com/guide/vitamin-mineral-supplements-men
- Med Line Plus. "Vitamin K." Med Line Plus. Nov. 19, 2010. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/983.html
- Nordqvist, Christian. "What is Vitamin D? What are the Benefits of Vitamin D?"
- Medical News Today. Aug. 24, 2009. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618.php
- OFDS. "Vitamin A and Carotenoids." Office of Dietary Supplements. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina/
- OFDS. "Vitamin B6." Office of Dietary Supplements. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb6
- PCRM. "Don't Vegetarians Have Trouble Getting Enough Vitamin B-12." Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/b12.html
- Randerson, James. "Folic Acid boosts prospect of fatherhood, study claims." March 20, 2008. (March 1, 2011) http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/mar/20/medicalresearch.health
- Science Daily. "Vitamin B3 Shows Early Promise in Treatment of Stroke." Feb. 26, 2010. (March 1, 2011) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100224183111.htm
- Sease, Julie, PharmD, BCPS, CDE. "Does Vitamin B12 Help Relieve Fatigue." Jan. 5, 2009. (Feb. 28, 2011)http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/585589
- Smith, Michael. "7 Nutrients Your Diet May Be Missing." WebMD. Jan. 8, 2010. (Feb. 26, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/7-nutrients-your-diet-may-be-missing
- UMMC. "Vitamin B3." University of Maryland Medical Center. June 18, 2009. (March 1, 2011). http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b3-000335.htm
- UMMC. "Vitamin E." University of Maryland Medical Center. Dec. 14, 2009. (March 1, 2011)http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-e-000341.htm
- Web MD. "Fortify Your Knowledge About Vitamins." WebMD. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/fda/fortify-your-knowledge-about-vitamins
- Zelman, Kathleen. "The Befits of Vitamin C." WebMD. Jan. 7, 2010. (Feb. 28, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/the-benefits-of-vitamin-c
HowStuffWorks looks at a study linking time spent with childhood friends with improved outcomes in men's health.