One final weapon in your arsenal should be a handkerchief or a pocket pack of facial tissue. This weapon can help you in several ways:
- As a substitute or extra napkin, in case you drop yours on the floor or need an additional one
- Instant mop for spilled beverages
- Cleaning device for mucus-filled nostrils
During your date, you want to stay as neat as possible, and sometimes a flimsy restaurant napkin just doesn't cut (or clean up) the mustard. Having a handkerchief or tissue on hand will help you in a pinch if food gets out of control. Besides, accidents happen, and if you or your date accidentally spills a beverage, whipping out your handkerchief will help mop it up -- hopefully before it causes any damage.
Tissues also come in handy in case your nose has visible mucus in it. One of the worst date conversations is when she holds a tissue in your direction and says, "You need a Kleenex." Prevent this date killer by having your own stash of facial tissues and using them -- especially if you have a runny or stuffed-up nose.
These tools can help you win the dating war. Read on for other tips to stay fresh on a date.
- American Dental Association. "What You Should Know About Bad Breath." January 2003. (March 21, 2011)http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceAndResearch/pdfs/patient_22.pdf
- American Dental Hygienists' Association. "Want Some Life Saving Advice? Ask Your Dental Hygienist About Understanding and Eliminating Bad Breath." July 16, 2010. (March 21, 2011) http://www.adha.org/downloads/factsheets/bad_breath.pdf
- Chang, Louise, MD. "Slideshow: Surprising Ways Smoking Affects Your Looks and Life." WebMD. Aug. 13, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/slideshow-ways-smoking-affects-looks
- Colgate-Palmolive Company. "Colgate Wisp FAQs." (March 21, 2011)http://www.colgatewisp.com/wisp/FAQ
- Hosking, Wes. "Smoke gets in the girls' ayes." Herald Sun. Feb. 11, 2011. (March 21, 2011)http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/smoke-gets-in-the-girls-ayes/story-fn6bfkm6-1226003966415
- It's Just Lunch. "'It's Just Lunch' and American Way In Flight Magazine Reveal That When It Comes to Dating, There's Little Time To Make a Good Impression." Sept. 14, 2009. (March 21, 2011)http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/09/14/idUS154429+14-Sep-2009+PRN20090914
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. "Bad Breath." June 19, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bad-breath/DS00025
- Shah, Riddhi. "Why do some foods make us smell funny?" Salon Media Group. June 23, 2010. (March 21, 2011) http://www.salon.com/food/feature/2010/06/23/foods_that_make_you_smell_funny
- Tzu, Sun. Samuel B. Griffith, translator. "The Art of War. Oxford University Press. 1963. Wilbert, Caroline. "Women Better at Sniffing Out Body Odor." WebMD.com. April 7, 2009. (March 21, 2011) http://women.webmd.com/news/20090407/women-better-sniffing-body-odor
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.