Traditional Chinese medicine has a number of herbal formulations that treat disorders of the digestive system. In this article, we’ll describe Chinese patent medicines that relieve common digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal discomfort. We’ll give the Chinese name for each medicine, and describe its indications and functions in detail.
Most of these medicines come in the form of easy-to-swallow, tiny round pills (wan) or tablets (pian). Some of these highly effective remedies for stomach ailments have been made by the same family for generations and many are based on traditional formulas that have been in use for more than two thousand years.
First, let’s look at a medicine that treats a common travelers’ illness: diarrhea. Continue to the next page to learn how Chinese medicine can relieve this uncomfortable condition.
For more about traditional Chinese medicine, treatments, cures, beliefs, and other interesting topics, see:
- How Traditional Chinese Medicine Works
- How to Treat Common Ailments with Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for Coughs, Colds, Flu, and Allergies
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for Pain Relief
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for Overall Health