Though controversial and only within the reach of those willing to shell out up to $300 a month, human growth hormone (HGH) is the "best treatment we currently have for preserving vitality until the end of your normal genetic lifespan," says LeConde, who at age 52 has been injecting himself daily with HGH for the past 5 years. The 30-gauge, one-quarter inch (6.35 millimeter) needle, he adds, is a "very low obstacle" for his patients, most of whom are over age 50 and report reduced body fat, increased muscle tone, enhanced sexual performance, elevated mood and firmer skin from HGH treatments, according to LeConde.
HGH has been approved by the FDA to treat adult human growth hormone deficiency but not as a routine anti-aging therapy. That will take years because "everyone is a candidate for HGH," says LeConde. In the meantime, he adds, "those of us over 50 can't wait for the FDA to approve one of the safest, most effective interventions we have." What will scientific research have to say about HGH? Only time will tell -- we recommended starting your anti-aging regimen at home by living healthy in the meantime.
- Doidge, Norman. "The Brain That Changes Itself." Penguin Books. Dec. 18, 2007. (March 17, 2012)
- Judge, Kay and Maxine Barish-Wreden Drs. "Keep Your Mind Young and Alert." Chicago Tribune. Dec. 7, 2009. (March 17, 2012) http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-health-diet-aging-brainpower,0,3680833.story
- Luskin, Frederick. "Transformative Practices for Integrating Mind-Body-Spirit." The Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine. Oct. 22, 2004. (March 17, 2012) http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2004.10.S-15
- Roizen, Michael F., M.D. and Mehmet C. Oz, M.D. "You Staying Young." Free Press. 2007. (March 17, 2012)
- Shannahoff-Kalsa, David. "Kundalini Yoga Meditation." The Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine. Dec. 31, 2007. (March 18, 2012) http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2007.0684
- Williams, Anna-Leila. "Perspectives on Spirituality at The End of Life." Cambridge Journals. Aug. 6, 2006. (March 17, 2012) http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=531196
5 Ways To Age Gracefully and Healthfully will show you healthy ways to age gracefully. Read on to discover 5 Ways To Age Gracefully and Healthfully.