More so than younger generations, boomers are most likely to equate new technology with an improved quality of life [source: Rogers]. That's likely to be the case when it comes to boomers' opinions of GPS navigational systems, which not only have improved quality of life, but also saved plenty of lives.
When baby boomers were growing up, going on a trip to the Grand Canyon (or perhaps Niagara Falls) usually meant watching a parent trying to unfold a giant map in the car while the other parent insisted the destination had been overshot by only a couple hundred miles.
For purposes of safety, convenience and simply geeking out on some really cool technology, boomers have embraced the use of GPS. As often as not, these embraces are mutual, as most new cars have the option of built-in GPS, which is also standard on cell phones and utilized by online mapping systems.
So what exactly is GPS? GPS stands for "global positioning system" and it's a U.S.-operated system that involves a network of orbiting satellites (with 24 in use at any given time) that allows those with GPS receivers to determine their three-dimensional position on Earth. Portable GPS-based navigation systems geared toward boomers often feature larger screens and improved readability. Boomers can also use GPS to keep tabs on aging parents, especially those with dementia.
While we tend to think of new technologies as being youth-oriented, the needs and desires of boomers may very well dictate which new technologies we see in the years to come.
Keep reading to learn more about baby boomers.
- AARP. "Social Media and Technology Use Among Adults 50+." June 2010. (June 10, 2011) http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/general/socmedia.pdf
- Bond, Gwenda. "Seeing the Big Picture." Publisher's Weekly. May 10, 2010. (June 10, 2011) http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/43110-seeing-the-big-picture.html
- della Cava, Marco R. "Boomers zero in on social networks." USA Today. Mar. 27, 2009. (June 10, 2011) http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2009-03-26-boomer-social-networking_N.htm
- Dowd, Casey. "Making Phone Conversations Clear as Day." Fox Business. June 2, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/06/02/making-phone-conversations-clear-day/
- GPS.gov. "Official U.S. Government information about the Global Positioning System (GPS) and related topics." (June 10, 2011) http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/
- Home Care Technology Association of America. "Facts About Health Care in America." (June 10, 2011) http://www.hctaa.org/awareness.html
- Miller, Claire Cain. "E-Books Outsell Print Books at Amazon." The New York Times. Mar. 19, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/technology/20amazon.html
- Mullaney, Tim. "'Pong' pioneer Bushnell says video games may save your brain." USA Today. May 11, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/05/pong-pioneer-bushnell-says-video-games-may-save-your-brain/1
- Pew Internet. "Generations 2010." Dec. 16, 2010. (June 10, 2011) http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Generations-2010/Introduction/Defining-Generations.aspx
- Poor, Alfred. "HDTV Buying Guide: Making Sense of the Specifications." PCWorld. Mar. 1, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.pcworld.com/article/183099/hdtv_buying_guide_making_sense_of_the_specifications.html
- Publishers Weekly. "E-Book Sales Up 159% in Quarter, Print Falls." May 19, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/financial-reporting/article/47343-e-book-sales-up-159-in-quarter-print-falls.html
- Raphael, J.R. "Amazon Kindle 2: It's All About the E Ink." PCWorld. Feb. 9, 2009. (June 10, 2011) http://www.pcworld.com/article/159218/amazon_kindle_2_its_all_about_the_e_ink.html
- Rogers, Michael. "Boomers and Technology: An Extended Conversation." Oct. 2009. (June 10, 2011) http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/computers/2009_boomers_and_technology_final_report.pdf
- Savitz, Eric. "The Top 10 Tech Trends: Live From The Churchill Club." May 25, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/2011/05/25/the-top-10-tech-trends-live-from-the-churchill-club/
- Van Grove, Jennifer. "Baby Boomers and Seniors are Flocking to Facebook." Mashable. Jan. 28, 2010. (June 10, 2011) http://mashable.com/2010/01/28/baby-boomers-social-media/
- USA Today. "High-tech sensors help seniors live independently." Jan. 23, 2009. (June 15, 2011) http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2009-01-23-high-tech-seniors_N.htm
- Williams, Ray B. "Baby Boomers and technology." Psychology Today. Jan. 24, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201101/baby-boomers-and-technology
- Wortham, Jenna. "Baby Boomers, Luddites? Not So Fast." The New York Times. Feb. 20, 2009. (June 10, 2011) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/baby-boomers-luddites-not-so-fast/
Baby boomers should get weight-bearing exercise to improve bone health and balance. See the top five reasons for baby boomers to get weight-bearing exercise.