When it comes to keeping the area around your eyes wrinkle free, expensive creams and procedures like Botox can be effective, but not always affordable. For those who can't shell out the money, there are more than a few natural cures for crow's feet out there, some even backed by science.
Several natural remedies have one thing in common: vitamin E. Vitamin E contains powerful antioxidant properties and is found in a number of creams that are effective against fighting wrinkles [source: WebMD:Vitamin E]. So it only makes sense that home remedies containing vitamin E might also be effective. The first is a recipe including flaxseed oil, and all you have to do is swallow it. The oil contains vitamin E -- as well as vitamins B and C -- and has numerous other positive health benefits to go along with reducing wrinkles.
The second home remedy couldn't be easier. Simply poke a small hole in a vitamin E tablet and apply the contents directly to the affected area surrounding your eyes. You should use a full tablet on each eye [source: Emmerson].
Egg white face masks are also popular among those who favor the natural approach. First, make sure your face is clean. Then apply an egg white to your entire face (and remember to wash your hands thoroughly, since you're handling raw egg). After 15 minutes or so, the egg white will dry. When it does, just wash it off with warm water and gently dry your face [source: Emmerson]. This should help tighten your skin and therefore reduce the appearance of crow's feet.
Concocting another, simple crow's feet cure is just a matter of preparing a healthy meal. Foods that are rich in antioxidants, like eggplant, asparagus, fish and olive oil can play a role in protecting the skin. Conversely, some foods -- like full-fat milk -- may elevate the chance that you'll develop wrinkles [source: MayoClinic: Q&A].
While you're likely to notice crow's feet at some point in your life, don't fret. There are plenty of options to reduce their appearance. Read on to find out lots more information about getting rid of crow's feet.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Anti-aging Questions
- The American Academy of Dermatology. "Causes of Aging Skin." (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/basicfacts.html
- The American Academy of Dermatology. "10 Tips: Selecting Age-Fighting Topicals." June 17, 2009. (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/age_fighting_selecting.html
- The American Academy of Dermatology. "Botulinum Rejuvination." (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/botulinum_rejuvenation.html
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. "Nearly 6.9 Million Cosmetic Procedures in 2002." March 4, 2003. (accessed 8/5/2009)http://www.surgery.org/press/news-release.php?iid=530 Corresponding stats: http://www.surgery.org/download/2002%20stats_403.pdf
- Emmerson, Kassidy. "Homemade Treatments for Crow's Feet." Associated Content. Apr. 20, 2007. (accessed 07/11/2009)http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/211421/homemade_treatments_for_crows_feet_pg2.html?cat=68
- Mayo Clinic. "Botox Injections." Aug. 2, 2008. (accessed 07/11/2009)http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/botox/MY00078/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all
- Mayo Clinic. "Wrinkles" Jan. 27, 2009. (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wrinkles/DS00890
- Mayo Clinic. Q&A "Are Some Foods Better than Others for Healthy Skin?"http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-skin/AN01863
- Paramapoonya, Om. "Myths and Facts about Wrinkles." (accessed 07/11/2009) http://hubpages.com/hub/anti-aging
- Saint Louis, Catherine. "The Anti-Wrinkle Challenge" New York Times. April 2, 2009. (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/fashion/02SkinSide.html
- The Beauty Insiders. "LifeCell." (accessed 07/11/2009)http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/lifecell.html
- WebMD. "Vitamin E." April 16, 2008. (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-lifestyle-guide/supplement-guide-vitamin-e
- WebMD. "Cosmetic Procedures:Botox." March 1, 2007. (accessed 8/4/2009)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/guide/cosmetic-procedures-botox