If you've managed to get past the discomfort of first-time waxing, you'll need to know what to do next with those newly hair-free legs. Post-waxing care is important, but also easy -- and if you do it right, you'll be rewarded with longer-lasting benefits.
Cleaning the skin after waxing is a must. Since the hair follicles are left open and vulnerable post-waxing, it's important to remove all residues left over from the wax. This can be done with an antibacterial cream or soap, which will help prevent any skin irritations and bacterial infections.
If your skin does become irritated during the waxing process, soothing the skin afterward may be necessary. A lotion or gel with vitamin E or aloe in it is a good way to help calm the redness down [source: Se Benge ]. It's also a good idea to steer clear of hot baths and direct sunlight for a few days after waxing [source: Ripley].
With the help of a good salon or the patience to try do-it-yourself kits, you can get great results from waxing. If done right, it may be the perfect answer to your daily frustrations with hair growth.
To learn more about hair removal and your skin, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Barba, Alicia et al. "Nonlaser Hair Removal Techniques." EMedicine. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1067139-overview
- Barker, Olivia. "The Male Resistance to Waxing is Melting Away." USA Today. Aug 23, 2005. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2005-08-23-waxing_x.htm/
- Capel, Anne et al. "Mistress of the House, Mistress of Heaven" Google Books. (Accessed 8/24/2009) http://books.google.com/books?id=1pkH3QP390gC&pg=PA75&dq=hair+removal,+egypt#v=onepage&q=hair%20removal%2C%20egypt&f=false
- Chistova, Valentina. "The Benefits of Body Waxing, No Razor Bumps." Fast Company Magazine. May 8, 2009. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/nj-day-spa/nj-day-spa/benefits-body-waxing-no-razor-bumps
- Cosmopolitan. "Ouch-free Wax Hints." (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/how-to/ouch-free-wax-hints?click=main_sr
- Costhelper.com. "How much does waxing cost?" (Accessed 8/27/09)http://www.costhelper.com/cost/health/waxing.html
- Dictionary.com. "loofah." (Accessed 8/27/09) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loofah
- Dveirin, Shala. "Hard Vs. Soft Wax." Renew Professional. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://renewprofessional.com/Articles/ArticleLanding/tabid/72/Default.aspx?tid=1&cid=14039
- Gibson, Lawrence. "Ingrown Hairs: How Do You Prevent Them?" Mayo Clinic. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ingrown-hairs/AN01262
- Goins, Liesa. "Fuzz Busters." Women's Health Magazine. July/August 2006. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty-and-style/shaving-and-waxing-tips?page=1
- Hartlaub, Peter. "Scared of Waxing? Dude, Get Over It." The San Francisco Chronicle. July 12, 2009. (Accessed 8/15/09).http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/12/LV2V18I8S6.DTL
- Kozolchyk, Abbie. "6 Beauty Mistakes and How to Fix Them." Redbook Magazine. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.redbookmag.com/beauty-fashion/tips-advice/fixing-beauty-mistakes?click=main_sr
- New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. "Waxing." DermNet NZ. Dec. 24, 2007. (Accessed 9/10/09)http://w.dermnetnz.org/procedures/pdf/waxing-dermnetnz.pdf
- Proctor & Gamble. "Human Hair." (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/index.php?id=683
- Ripley, Jacqui. "Body skin care: Beautify your body." Elle Canada. (Accessed 8/27/09) http://www.ellecanada.com/beauty/body/body-skin-care-beautify-your-body/a/25049/2
- Se Benge, Mary. "Makeup mishaps: How to fix a beauty disaster." Elle Canada. (Accessed 8/27/09). http://www.ellecanada.com/home/beauty/makeup-mishaps-how-to-fix-a-beauty-disaster/a/25062/2
- Shankar, Meenakshi. "Get Gorgeous: Pamper The Skin You Are In." MSN Lifestyle. (Accessed 8/15/09).http://lifestyle.in.msn.com/health/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3069370
- Sydney Morning Herald. "Wax on, Wax off." March 5, 2003. (Accessed 8/15/09) http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/04/1046540187724.html
- Szuchman, Paula. "The History of Bikini Waxing: Hairstyles Come and go -- Even Down Below." Cosmopolitan. June 22, 2004. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-123084412/history-bikini-waxing-hairstyles.html
- TeensHealth. "Hair Removal." KidsHealth.org. (Accessed 8/15/09)http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/skin_stuff/hair_removal.html