Death is a fact of life, but how we understand it isn't always factual. Learn about some intense death superstitions at HowStuffWorks.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Near-death Experiences Work
- Can you really scare someone to death?
- How Grief Works
- What makes graveyards scary?
- Is there a worst way to die?
- How Brain Death Works
- How does death by hanging work?
- How Death by Cubicle Works
- What's more likely -- death by auto accident or death by french fries?
- How a Living Will Works
- How Organ Donation Works
- How Autopsies Work
- How Body Farms Work
- How can a corpse be incorruptible?
- How Ghosts Work
- Which country's people have the longest life expectancy and why?
- What causes rigor mortis?
- Can my body generate power after I die?
More Great Links
- Altman, Linda Jacobs. "Death: An Introduction to Medical-Ethical Dilemmas." Enslow Publishers. 2000.
- British Medical Journal. "Assisted Suicide Laws May Overlook Depressed Patients." ScienceDaily. Oct. 8, 2008. (Dec. 15, 2008)http://www.sciencedaily.com /releases/2008/10/081007192534.htm
- Cassell, Dana K., Robert C. Salinas and Peter A.S. Winn. "The Encyclopedia of Death and Dying." Facts on File. 2005.
- "death." Encyclopedia Britannica. 2008. (Aug. 12, 2008)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/154412/death
- "End-of-Life Care: Questions and Answers." National Cancer Institute. Oct. 30, 2002. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/support/end-of-life-care
- Fine, Robert L. "From Quinlan to Schiavo: medical, ethical, and legal issues in severe brain injury." Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings. April 5, 2005. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1255938
- Grossman, Cathy Lynn. "When Life's Flame Goes Out: Death is Difficult to Define, Legally and Morally." USA Today. Oct. 5, 2005. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-10-04-death-definition_x.htm?csp=36
- Harlevy, Amir and Baruch Brody. "Brain Death: Reconciling Definitions, Criteria and Tests." Annals of Internal Medicine. Sept. 15, 1993. (Aug. 12, 2008)http://annals.highwire.org/cgi/content/full/119/6/519
- Hughes, James. "Essay: The End of Death?" New Scientist. Oct. 13, 2007.
- Kastenbaum, Robert. "Definitions of Death." Encyclopedia of Death and Dying. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.deathreference.com/Da-Em/Definitions-of-Death.html
- Kolata, Gina. "When Death Begins." New York Times. April 20, 1997. (Aug. 12, 2008)http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F00E6D91F3FF933A15757C0A961958260&scp=36&sq=brain%20death&st=cse
- Laureys, Steven and Joseph J. Fins. "Are we equal in death?: Avoiding diagnostic error in brain death." Neurology. Jan. 22, 2008. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.neurology.org/cgi/reprint/70/4/e14
- Lazar, Neil M., Sam Shemie, George C. Webster, Bernard M. Dickens. "Bioethics for clinicians: 24. Brain Death." Canadian Medical Association Journal. March 20, 2001. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/164/6/833
- Lynn, Joanne. "Death and Dying." Merck Manuals Online Medical Library. October 2007. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec01/ch008/ch008a.html
- Macnair, Trisha. "Human decomposition after death." BBC. April 2008. (Dec. 16, 2008)
- Marchant, Jo and Lucy Middleton. "Instant Expert: Death." New Scientist. Oct. 10, 2007. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12759-instant-expert-death.html
- Mims, Cedric. "When We Die: The Science, Culture, and Rituals of Death." St. Martin's Press. 1998.
- "Near-Death Experiences Illuminate Dying Itself." New York Times. Oct. 28, 1986. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9A0DE2D71E3BF93BA15753C1A960948260&scp=6&sq=clinical%20death&st=cse
- Nuland, Sherwin B. "How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter." Knopf. 1994.
- Philipkoski, Kristen. "Brain Dead Means Dead." Wired. April 9, 2001. (Aug. 12, 2008) http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2001/04/42847?currentPage=all
- Plonk, William M. Jr. and Robert M. Arnold. "Terminal Care: The Last Weeks of Life." Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2005.
- "Practice Parameters: Determining Brain Death in Adults." American Academy of Neurology. 1994. (Aug. 12, 2008)http://www.aan.com/practice/guideline/uploads/118.pdf
- "The Top Ten Causes of Death." World Health Organization. November 2008. (Dec. 16, 2008)http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310_2008.pdf
- Tobin, Daniel R. "Peaceful Dying." Perseus Books. 1999.
- University of Bath. "Call for Closer Examination of 'Brain Death' As The End of Life." ScienceDaily. Sept. 12, 2007. (Aug. 12, 2008)http://www.sciencedaily.com /releases/2007/09/070911202516.htm