The Paleolithic Diet
This diet goes by many names: the Paleo Diet, the Caveman Diet, the Stone Age Diet or the hunter-gatherer diet. Whatever your preference, this eating plan is based on the food consumed during the Paleolithic era that ended about 10,000 years ago. This means that the suggested foods can be hunted, fished or gathered. This includes foods such as pork, seafood, eggs, fruits, nuts and vegetables. Foods to avoid include grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar and processed oils.
The only downfall to this diet, says Hardy, is that once again the food limitations make it difficult to maintain. There may also be problems with receiving all the necessary nutrients derived from legumes, whole grains and reduced-fat dairy products [sources: Zelman; Hardy].
Want to learn more about losing or maintaining your weight? There's lots more information below.
- Dukan Diet. "Unique & Truly Personalized Weight Loss Coaching." 2011. (May 6, 2011)http://www.dukandiet.com/
- Grapefruit-Diet.org. "Grapefruit role in Grapefruit Diet." 2008. (May 10, 2011)http://www.grapefruit-diet.org/
- Hardy, Kip. Registered Dietician, Emory Healthcare in Atlanta, Ga. Personal interview. May 10, 2011.
- Lam, Michael M.D. "Blood Type Diet." (May 16, 2011)http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/
- The Master Cleanse Official website. "What does my body do when on the cleanse?" 2011. (May 9, 2011)http://themastercleanse.org/what-does-my-body-do-when-on-the-cleanse/
- Nelson, Jennifer K. "Does the HCG diet work - and is it safe?" Mayo Clinic. June 26, 2010. (May 9, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091
- Nordqvist, Christian. "What is Ketosis? What Causes Ketosis?" Medical News Today. March 2, 2010. (May 5, 2011)http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php
- WebMD. "The Raw Food Diet." Feb. 20, 2010. (May 9, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/raw-food-diet
- WebMD. "The Zone Diet." Feb. 6, 2009. (May 6, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/zone-what-it-is?page=1
- Zelman, Kathleen M. "The Cookie Diet." WebMD. Jan. 12, 2010. (May 5, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-cookie-diet
- Zelman, Kathleen M. WebMD. "Diet Review: The Caveman (Paleo) Diet." Aug. 18, 2010. (May 10, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-review-the-caveman-paleo-diet
- Zelman, Kathleen M. "The Dukan Diet plan." WebMD. Jan. 30, 2011. (May 6, 2011)http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/features/dukan-diet-plan
HowStuffWorks finds out the best tricks and tips for success at intermittent fasting, as well as the science behind it.