Guys, just like girls, have the right to say no, even if you've done your very best job of asking him out. If he does turn you down, try not to take it to heart. There may be a million reasons why he says no -- he may be interested in someone else, or he might think you and he are too different. Maybe he's too shy or taken by surprise when you ask him out, or maybe he's genuinely too busy. Whatever the reason, you want to be polite and friendly in accepting his refusal. It's not the end of the world, and here are a few reasons why:
There really are other fish in the sea. Technically, the teenage years are the early days of your dating career. There are a lot more guys to meet -- some you'll like and others you won't. Don't be disheartened by the response of just one of those little fish.
Put yourself in his shoes. The guy may have said no, but haven't you thought that way about a guy before? He's nice enough, but you're just not into him. If you can feel that way about someone, it stands to reason that someone can feel that way about you -- and that's OK. Just be patient for the day that you and a special someone will click.
Get back in the saddle. Don't be afraid to ask someone out again. It will get easier the more you do it, and a lot of guys like the compliment of being asked out and the fact that all the pressure isn't on them.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. This saying may be a bit extreme -- dating really isn't a life or death situation. Regardless of the outcome, be proud that you had the courage to ask a guy out. It shows confidence and strength of character, and the odds are that if you're not afraid to do it again, one of the next guys will say yes.
Read on for more information about dating and relationships.
- Baish, Vanessa. "Frequently Asked Questions about Dating." 2007. (Oct. 3, 2010)
- Buzzle.com. "How to Ask a Guy Out." (Oct. 3, 2010)http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-ask-a-guy-out.html
- Capp Enterprises, Inc. "Sadie Hawkins Day." 2005. (Oct. 3, 2010) http://www.lil-abner.com/sadiehawk.html
- Fox, Annie. "Awesome Ways to Ask A Girl or Guy Out." (Oct. 3, 2010)http://teens.lovetoknow.com/Awesome_Ways_to_Ask_Out_a_Girl_or_Guy
- Girlslife.com. "When should a girl ask a guy out and how?" July 27, 2010. (Sept. 29, 2010) http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/07/27/should-i-ask-a-boy-out.aspx
- Hearst Communications, Inc. "It's okay to ask him out - here's how." July 28, 2010. (Oct. 4, 2010) http://www.seventeen.com/cosmogirl/tips-to-ask-guys-out?click=main_sr
- Hietman, Bethany. "How to Ask a Guy Out." Cosmopolitan. (Sept. 29, 2010).http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/dating-advice/how-to-ask-a-guy-out?src=syn&mag=cos&dom=yah_personals&con=art&link=rel&ha=1
- Jones, S.E. "How to Ask a Guy Out: Ten Excellent Tips." 2010. (Oct. 5, 2010) http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2044509/how_to_ask_a_guy_out_ten_excellent.html
- Nichols, Sarah. "How to Ask a Guy Out. 3 Hints To Asking a Guy Out on a Date." (Oct. 8, 2010) http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Ask-A-Guy-Out---3-Hints-To-Asking-A-Guy-Out-On-A-Date&id=929102